Ad Code

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Frostine the plus-size ballerina will inspire you to love your body




If you’ve ever thought you don’t have ‘the right body type’ to be a dancer, take note. Frostine Shake is here to provide proof that everybody can dance their cares away.
Frostine is a plus-size model, designer, and makeup artist. She’s also a dancer, blending burlesque with ballet to create her own form of dance that celebrates her body and allows her to express herself.
 she started out as a classically trained ballerina, but dropped out because of the dance’s culture of poor body image.

‘I started in ballet at the age of 6 or 7,’ she told us. ‘At that young age, I knew that I loved dancing, so I was enrolled in classes.
‘I dropped out of classical ballet at 16. I felt an unrealistic pressure to be thin, and I just could not meet the demands that my instructors gave me. I didn’t want to either!’
But after giving up ballet, Frostine didn’t want to stop doing the thing that had brought her so much joy: dance.
At around 18, she found burlesque.

‘I started to explore different types of dance that gave me freedom to express myself in a body positive way, while still entertaining an audience, which is what lead me burlesque,’ she explains.
‘I always had a fascination with all things vintage including hair, makeup, fashion, music, and dance.
‘Burlesque showcased all of these, and was a way I could include my love of dance, art, music, costume, fashion, rock n roll, make up, and theatre in a single art form.

‘It provided both discipline and freedom. When I became interested in burlesque, I was still in contact with some friends I knew from when I was a young dancer, who ended up becoming ballet instructors.
‘They helped me brush up on my skill and technique, and allowed me to go at my own pace, unlike the experiences I had before.’





Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code