Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mohammed Aamer faces new penalty for flouting spot-fix ban

The five-year ban given to Mohammad Aamer by the ICC for its role in the Lord up fixing scandal could be extended after the Pakistan fast bowler was surprised to play league cricket in Surrey during the week- end.

The 19, who faces criminal charges over the bowling two no balls in the fourth test against England last August, said he had been told by Surrey Cricket League side Addington 1743 that the match cons St Lukes was a friendly game "."

However, the ICC, which is investigating the issue, clearly the prohibition imposed by an independent tribunal in Doha in February - but from September 2010 - applies to all cricket. If the governing body of the game takes a dim appearance Aamer New Malden on Saturday, his exile may be extended.

It is understood Aamer - who, with Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt, faces a criminal hearing at Southwark Crown Court in October on charges related to fraud and conspiracy to obtain corrupt payments - was on good terms with three Addington players.

One of them contacted Surrey League officials before the match to verify the eligibility rules, which stipulate a cricketer is not eligible to play if during the current season, he played in first or second XI cricket match or in the minor counties - criteria which, for obvious reasons, do not apply to Aamer.

But Sportsmail has learned that his name may not have been mentioned in conversation and there is little doubt the league leaders would have excluded the involvement of bowler had they known who they were dealing.

Aamer said: "I spoke to representatives from several clubs in question and they all told me it was a friendly match and therefore would not violate my ban from the ICC. I was informed that I was playing. "

The ECB said it was "the investigation and liaising with the ICC, if any.

Share/Bookmark

0 comments:

Post a Comment